Here are a couple of good internet resources about Hiking in Elko County, Nevada.
Let us know if you have Elko hiking links/resources that you’d like us to add to this list!
If you’re interested in hiking the Ruby Mountains, here’s a website that’s a good place to start:
- Website link: Backpacking in the Ruby Mountains.
- It has a lot of detailed information – describes the local trails, has directions to the trailheads, info on wildlife, etc. Their Facebook page is updated frequently with weather, posts about hikes, and news about the Ruby Mountains.
Here’s a good article from a few years ago in Backpacker magazine about hiking the Ruby Crest trail. A couple noteworthy items from the article, if you’re planning to do this hike:
- Has a good interactive map, showing topography, intermediate points along the trail, and pictures at each intermediate point.
- Has GPS coordinates for waypoints along the hike, such as the trailhead, turns to take, places to get water, locations for camping, etc.
- Link to the article: https://www.backpacker.com/trips/elko-nv-ruby-crest-national-recreation-trail